This elegant mansion, formally called ‘Chateau Rochelle’, was the home of Richard Secord, M.L.A., and fur trader, his wife Annie and their family until 1951. It was a grand modified Regency building of pressed brick with marble pillars. This was one of the finest domestic structures in Edmonton and was renowned for the grandeur of its entertainment.
The mansion was constructed in 1908 at a cost of $59,000, the architect being H.D. Johnson and the contractors May-Sharpe Construction Co.
After the death of Annie Secord in 1951 the house was sold, and opened in 1952 as the first exclusive home for the ‘Edmonton Museum of Arts’. The Secord mansion was demolished in 1968 and replaced by Secord House.
- Edmonton Historical Board
Designation & Awards
Edmonton Historical Board Plaque Award