LeMarchand Mansion is named for the original owner Rene LeMarchand. He wanted to have the finest and most modern apartment block in Western Canada; LeMarchand Mansion is the product of his wish.
Construction of the building began in 1909 and finished in 1912. The structure had forty-three suites ranging in size of four to nine rooms. Each suite had a gas burning stove, a dumbwaiter and at least one fireplace.
The builder was Charles May, one of Edmonton’s leading contractors. He only used the very best construction techniques and highest quality materials. A.M. Calderon, one of Edmonton’s foremost architects, designed the building. This structure was declared an historic site by the Alberta Government in 1977 and restored by Leamac Industrial Developments Ltd.
- Edmonton Historical Board
Designation & Awards
Edmonton Historical Board Plaque Award
Provincial Historic Resource (7/13/1977)